NTUMSA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Seniors! How to perform well in NTU???!!!

3 posters

Go down

Hi Seniors! How to perform well in NTU???!!! Empty Hi Seniors! How to perform well in NTU???!!!

Post  malaysiaboy Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:33 am

Hi to all the Malaysian seniors,

Greetings to all of you guys! I am an impending NBS student in NTU, and will be
staying in hostel in the upcoming matriculating 2010 year. Being the kiasu Malaysian
I am, I have a few questions in my mind which I find it very important to me and to my future.
I know that it is not easy to do well in uni, especially in SIngapore, where the competition is so high.
Hope you guys would share with me your experiences and truthful opinion = )

The questions are:

1) The must be the most stupid and common question of all. How to perform academically well, particularly in NBS?
*Study hardworkingly after every tutorial and lecture like a "bookworm chongster"?
*After school hours, revise what has been gone through the day and study again for another 2 hours everyday???!!!
*If anything unsure, ask your friends and tutors at all times?!!!
*Every man for himself, find smart diligent project mates???!!!!

2) May I know isnt important to join CCA at all in NTU? Does it help in my career?
How many CCAs must I join? I heard before outstanding seniors from newspaper joining as many as 7 CCAs!!! thats insane for me!

3) Since my course is a 3 years course, isnt possible for me to join 2 internships? (I wish to explore more job sectors and expose myself to the real working world before deciding which is my ideal career path)

4) I wish to go for exchange, but there are so many various types of exchange in NTU, it is making me kind of confusing.
hahaaa. There are GIP, ISTEP, and ..... Some work and study, some just study but no work, so go there see see look
look to immerse.... Which is the ideal exchange programme? Especially to me, a NBS student?

Sorry seniors, I know that I have been asking too many stupid and stressful question. hahaaaa. I just want to get a good honors
(second better) and make my education journey a richful and rewarding one! hahaa, it is very expensive to study in NTU, $12000 per year, hence gotta make my parents' hard earned money more worthwhile. haaaa

Hope the seniors can answer some of my quiries here and I am looking forward to you guys reply. Good day to everyone!

malaysiaboy

Back to top Go down

Hi Seniors! How to perform well in NTU???!!! Empty Re: Hi Seniors! How to perform well in NTU???!!!

Post  mansoon Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:19 am

Those are not stupid question my friend, those are great questions! I'll try my best to answer your question even though I'm not NBS student or the brightest student in NTU.Smile

1) I think this is still depend on yourself,
*Study hardworkingly after every tutorial and lecture like a "bookworm chongster"? (though I would suggest study smart, but the harder you study, the greater result you would achieve)
*After school hours, revise what has been gone through the day and study again for another 2 hours everyday???!!! (Make sure understand every parts of your subject)
*If anything unsure, ask your friends and tutors at all times?!!!(I would encourage you to do so, and I am sure that any seniors will be glad to help you!)
*Every man for himself, find smart diligent project mates???!!!! (Errr, no comment...)

In studies, I believe you have already found your way to handle it in your STPM or A-level , but try to work a lit bit harder than STPM, then you should be able to do well in your studies.

2) If you want to stay in hostel, then ECA is a must. NTU hostel allocation is based on point system, normally 16 points would be the cut off point to get a room. International students will be rewarded with 9 points as your distant points, then you need to earn yourself for the rest by joining ECA.

Normally, the points system is as below, and there are 3 tiers of clubs,
Tier 1 - Normally school clubs, or some big club like red cross, maincomm - 9 pts, subcomm - 5 pts
Tier 2 - Rotaract, Buddhist and more... Pres and V.Pres - 9pts, maincomm - 7 pts, subcomm - 3 pts
Tier 3 - Most of the clubs are in this category... Pres and V.Pres - 7 pts, maincomm - 5 pts, subcomm - 3pts

Actually joining 1 club by getting a maincomm in any tier club or a subcomm in Tier 1 club will be enough already. Of course you can join more if you are interested in other clubs, but make sure that you still have time for your studies and time to relax. I think actively involve in ECA can help us in our career, it will definitely sharpen your soft skills, and you can brag a lot in your interview at least:lol:

3) 4) couldnt give you a clear answer, perhaps other seniors can help you in this.

Hope my answers would help you, we will share more with you in FOC, no worries! cheers

mansoon

Back to top Go down

Hi Seniors! How to perform well in NTU???!!! Empty Re: Hi Seniors! How to perform well in NTU???!!!

Post  YikHua Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:04 pm

3) You would have one compulsory 8-10 weeks internship after Year 2 Semester 2 (during the holiday). If you want you can self-source internship after Year 1. So it is still possible for you to have 2 or more internships during your 3 years course. Smile

YikHua
NTUMSA Committee
NTUMSA Committee

Back to top Go down

Post  malaysiaboy Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:26 am

Hi Monsoon, thanks for your reply! Yah, its very meaningful and your reply have certainly give me a better insights on the academic level in NTU. Hahaa, I guess I just have to study hard and hopefully get a good Honours at the end of the day. Once again, thanks you!

Hi Yik,

In another words, for NBS student like me, I need to source for the intership company at least at the end of my 1st year if I wish to have 2 interships at the end of my 3 years NBS programme? Lets say I am interested in the BIG 4 (accounting firms), I email/call/make appointment with them on my own and have my internship after 1 year during the summer holidays???? Then for my next internship, I will repeat the same process all over again, after the end of my 2nd year studies??

That means while most of the students are relaxing basking in the sun during their holidays, I will be working? Only during the holidays I can work right? Attachment got grades A, B, C, D or not? Or just pass and fail?

How about Exchange programme? From what I know of the curriculum of the NBS structure, students can only go for exchange after 1st year. So it is possible for me to do 2 internships and 1 exchange programme?

Sorry for the long winded questions asked. Good day everyone!~

malaysiaboy

Back to top Go down

Post  YikHua Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:23 pm

ya, you have to call/email the Human Resource of the company if you want to do your internship after 1st year. Sometimes, the NBS Career Office will send email on internship opportunities to NBS students also, you can apply from there as well.

For the Professional Attachment at the end of your 2nd year, you have to go through a process by Career & Attachment Office to get your internship. They change the system this year, so the interview/internship opportunities you get would depend on your results and your achievement in curriculum. This attachment only have pass and fail. But you would require to write a report for this.

"That means while most of the students are relaxing basking in the sun during their holidays, I will be working?"
Haha, yes! you would be working while others are enjoying their holiday~~~~ But no worry, i believe many students would stay in campus during holiday also, either to work in NTU, settle their curriculum projects, internship, or research. Is always on your choice how you want to spend your holiday. Smile

Exchange Programme ah...i'm not that familiar with this. Are you accountancy student? Some of my friends would go for exchange for 1 semester. As long as you can match your modules with another university, you can go for exchange~~ Most of them clear their communication modules overseas, because all modules you take during exchange are ungraded. (Communication modules are those always pull down our grade! ><) There would be talks on exchange program in NTU throughout the year. You can sign up for it if you are interested. Smile

I believe you can still fulfill your dream of 1 exchange and 2 internships as long as you plan it well. eg. end of year 1 - internship, Year 2 Sem 1/Year 2 Sem 2 - exchange, end of year 2 - internship.

Hope all these can help you. Smile

YikHua
NTUMSA Committee
NTUMSA Committee

Back to top Go down

Post  malaysiaboy Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Yikhua senior,

thanks a lot for your much elaborated reply!

Year 2 Sem 1/Year 2 Sem 2 - exchange, end of year 2 - internship.
What do you mean? I rather confused with the year 2 planning. That means I will go for my exchange at the end of Year 2, Semester 2? And at the end of year 2 again, I will go for my attachment? hahaa sorry I am very noob!

Ya, senior, I am an accountancy student. hahaa you sound so negative, is it accountancy students have too much academic stress and have few chances of 2 internships and 1 exchange?

Did you guys went for any exchange so far? How is it? mind sharing your overseas endeavours??!!!

WIth thanks!

malaysiaboy

Back to top Go down

Post  YikHua Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:39 pm

exchange is during the semester, means you would spend one semester overseas rather than studying in NTU like us. So if you go for exchange during semester 1 or semester 2 in year 2, you can still come back for internship during the vacations at the end of year 2. So i suppose exchange and internship wont overlap with each other.

No la. I believe as an accountancy students, it would be easier for you to match your modules compared to business students ( especially for those going for Actuarial Science) Razz

i nv go for exchange before. so would leave your last question to other seniors. lolz. PASS!

YikHua
NTUMSA Committee
NTUMSA Committee

Back to top Go down

Post  malaysiaboy Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:32 am

haha I see, thanks Yikhua for your reply!

malaysiaboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum