NTUMSA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accommodation in Singapore

4 posters

Go down

Accommodation in Singapore Empty Accommodation in Singapore

Post  LegendLee Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Your A-B-C for living in Singapore.

1) How much does staying in hostel cost?
Fees increase every once in a while and the price of rooms differs depending on if it's a air-conditioned room or if it's a single room.
Generally Fees for double room would be lesser than SGD 200 a month and Single room would cost around SGD 200+

Freshman application here

2) How much does staying out cost?
About SGD 300 to SGD 500 depending on how many people a room , amenities it provides and location.
You can source this yourself or via off campus housing

3) What do I need to do to continue staying in Hostel.
There are generally 2 ways to stay in hostel for the following year.
The first is to get recommended in(Rec-in) by your hall. This is usually the case for people holding high positions in JCRC(Hall society) or is a really good Hall Player.
The second way is to join other clubs and hold positions.
The not so conventional ways are by holding certain scholarships or be in the University Sports Scheme.

Details can be found here

4) What if I fail to get a room ?
You can apply for legal squatting in any room for SGD 20 a month

LegendLee

http://xelgend.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Accommodation in Singapore Empty Re: Accommodation in Singapore

Post  malaysiaboy Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:30 am

Hi senior,

for the continuation of staying in hostel in NTU, I have some questions on CCA stuffs.

Is it better to join the JCRC(hall) committee or BIG CCA like student union/sports club CCA committee or
other smaller CCA clubs based on your interest and become part of the committee???

I am more concerned on the issue of stress level and academic works. Which is more ideal as I seriously
don't want my grades to get affected by the CCAs. I am afraid that joining the JCRC committee will have endless
committments around the clock, true???

How did you guys cope with CCA and academic life?

Thanks = )

malaysiaboy

Back to top Go down

Post  teiksheng Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:15 am

For your info, there will be a ECA week during the 2nd week after school starts and all the clubs will be having their booths for freshmen to know more about their clubs. Basically NTU carries out point system for application of hostel which means you have to get enough points (cut-off points will be determined by SAO) to apply a room. Those points are get from joinning ECA and become their committees. Clubs are categorized into different Tiers and different Tiers have their own points for the committees. It's very hard to explain very detail here and I suggest you to explore more about this when you come to NTU.

If you become a club's committee, you will definately have some jobs to do. (No pain no gain what..lol) It's just depends on how to manage your time effectively. My suggestion is not to treat ECA as your burden to your acedemic. In fact it's a good chance for you to make new friends and experience something else. ^^

teiksheng

Back to top Go down

Post  malaysiaboy Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Hallo Teikseng,

thanks for your reply! hahaa, you are right. It is better to treat it as something you enjoy rather than just participate just for the points.

4) What if I fail to get a room ?
You can apply for legal squatting in any room for SGD 20 a month

That means if i cant get a room in year 2, i can sleep in my friend's room with permission seek? hahaaa got such thing ah?

malaysiaboy

Back to top Go down

Post  confuser008 Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi Malaysiaboy,

Yupe, the legal squatting entitle you to stay in one of your friend's room by just paying $20 per month. However, there will be NO desk, lamp, bed or any other furniture for you.

confuser008

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum